Sunday, March 24, 2019

Fish Stew

Last week my husband was in the hospital (nothing too serious) for his heart - my friend Anne Marie said that people with heart conditions outlive everyone because they go get checkups all the time - it's true - during a routine checkup the Dr noted an anomally in Stef's heartbeat, so off he went to a rythmologue to get it checked out, then off to the hospital for a quick ablation of the nerves causing the extrasystole - and three days later he's out and complaining because he can't play golf or ride horseback for three weeks (insert canned laughter).

I'm alone in the office this end of the week, so I'm working on my book at the office while answering the phone and dealing with "emergencies". If I'm not in, leave a message, I'll get back to you later...
What to do with the frozen fish filets in the freezer?

 Almost an aliteration - but - to make fish stew:
1 onion, 1 tomato, 1 potato, 3 tablespoons tomato paste, a cup of red wine, a cup of vegetable bouillion or chicken stock,  1 teasp. dried oregano, 1 teasp. dried basil, 1 bay leaf, 1 garlic clove finely chopped, pinch of chili powder, 2 slices of smoked bacon or smoked fish cut into pieces, 4 filets of fish (I used cod) 

Chop and cook the onion until transluscent, add garlic and chopped tomato, cook a few minutes, add half a cup of bouillon and the tomato paste, stir.  Cut the potato into quarters, then half the quarters and add that to the sauce.  Season with the spices, add the wine and smoked fish or bacon, cook for ten minutes or more to bring the flavors out. Now add the fish filets and the rest of the bouillion and cover. Cook until the filets are done but not Overdone - when the fish flakes with a fork, it's ready. I'd say about 15 - 20 minutes at the most. Serve over rice.

I used some red wine I'd opened about two weeks ago - it was still good. The potato was all alone in the bottom of the bin, so that got tossed in. My tomato had seen better days, but rotton tomatoes make fantastic sauce. Don't throw away rotton tomatos! Cut any black parts off and cook in a sauce! I had no garlic so I used garlic powder. Works fine. I put my frozen filets in without thawing, so I kept a close eye on them so they didn't overcook. Also, I simmered them - cook fish too hot and it will get hard. I have wild rice, so I will use that. (I prefer to use smoked fish instead of bacon, but didn't have any - so just a slice or two of smoked (raw) bacon gives a hint of that smoky flavor I needed).  Serve with slices of lemon.

My son is back from his trip to New Zealand. He will tell us all about it - but mostly, what I'll be thinking, is how toxic hate is, and how it can ruin so many good things. There will always be a bitter memory mixed in with the good - and I keep hoping people will wake up and understand by killing people, you're not killing your problems.  Violence betgets violence - I only hope that by standing together and condeming senseless hate we will grow stronger and better.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Cure for Spring Fever by Barbara Robinson

  This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions . The author will award a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly dr...