Sunday, February 18, 2018

End of Winter burn out

I think I run on solar power - at the end of winter, my energy levels are so low I can hardly get out of bed. When the alarm rings, I just feel like crying - if I had the energy. Instead, I drag the covers over my head and wait for the five minute warning - sometimes I fall asleep waiting, and the reminder alarm wakes me up all over again. Those are the days I know nothing will go right. I can't hold two ideas in my head at once. I start getting dressed, then remember I have to shower. I get out of the shower, and find I've not rinced my hair. I start to brush my teeth, and then do something else. Each one of my chores is interrupted by something else, until, at the end of the morning, nothing is done and I'm late for work.
At work it takes all my concentration to keep on track. Usually by then I've had a coffee or two, and I'm waking up. But depending on the day, things can get better. Usually, if it's a sunny day, I'll perk up and find myself becoming more alert. But if it's dark and raining, I need cup after cup of tea and coffee to keep me going.
And then spring arrives - suddenly the forsythia are in bloom. Yellow flowers shining on bushes and trees - as the poem by Robert Frost goes, "Nature's first green is gold..."

Nothing Gold Can Stay
Robert Frost, 1874 - 1963

 Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Cure for Spring Fever by Barbara Robinson

  This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions . The author will award a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly dr...